Updated March 6, 2020
***As of 11.1.2019, it looks the proposed $3 charge has been reversed. They’re still free!
Fuel Rod chargers arrived at Disney World in the summer of 2016. And, just recently, they started popping up at Disneyland.
The concept of these chargers is simple and smart. I’ve enjoyed my experience with them so far. There are certainly longer lasting chargers available, but when you’re in the park and without a charger, these work nicely.
Take a look at what there is to know about this new option for battery charging.
In this article
Visit the Fuel Rod website for lots of info. On the home page, you’ll find exactly what comes with your purchase:
- A ready to use FuelRod to power your devices.
- Adapters for both Android and Apple devices that are yours to keep, at no additional charge.
- The ability to be refueled (recharged) in any standard wall outlet.
- The ability to be swapped (traded) for a fully fueled unit for $3 at any FuelRod SwapBox.
So, you buy the charger and then can swap it as needed at any Fuel Rod SwapBox, in or outside of the parks.
We have iPhones and a Samsung Galaxy in our family, and this set works to charge them all.
Here is what you receive:
When you’re not near a Fuel Rod machine to swap your charger, you can charge it anywhere, just as you would any other charger. You just need a USB adapter.
How to Purchase (and what it costs)
The Fuel Rod costs $20 + $5 shipping online for domestic delivery.
At the Disneyland Resort, you’ll pay a flat $30.
Fuel Rod chargers work anywhere. If you purchase online, you can swap that charger at Disneyland. If you purchase at Disneyland, you can swap that charger at LAX.
It takes about 2 minutes to purchase it in the parks.
Currently, Fuel Rods can only be shipped to U.S. addresses.
Purchasing at the parks looks like this:
Voila! The battery charger is ready to use.
How to Swap
When your battery stops charging, swap it for a new one, completely charged and ready to use.
When you swap, you will swap the actual charger only. Keep the accessories. The machine will accept and distribute the charger. If you misplace an adapter or cord, replace it on your own.
Magic, friends. Magic.
No more desperately looking for outlets.
Where to Find the Fuel Rod Machines at Disneyland
Fuel Rod machines are arriving everywhere. Airports, malls, etc……and now Disneyland! They’re about the size of an ATM. After learning that they arrived at Disneyland, I started looking for them elsewhere. In just the few days after I noticed them at DLR, I found one at two shopping centers that I visited near where I live.
Find out if there are locations near you on the Fuel Rod website. They seem to be adding machines often, so look back later on if today didn’t show results.
Save this image to your phone for quick reference on finding the machines:
In Disneyland, find them here:
Main Street Lockers – Walk into the locker building and they’re on your left. There are two machines at this location.
Starcade in Tomorrowland – To the left of Star Trader, on the way to the exit of Space Mountain, you’ll find a little cut out in the building on the right. The Fuel Rod machine is there.
it’s a small world gift shop in Fantasyland – After you exit the ride, it’s to your left if you go through the gift shop.
Frontierland Entrance – Enter through the main entrance of Frontierland and make a quick right into the Westward Ho! Trading Company store. The machine is located in the back.
Pooh’s Corner in Critter Country – Go into the shop’s entrance near The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, take a quick left and the machine is right there.
In California Adventure, find them here:
Kingswell Camera Shop on Buena Vista Street – To the left of the lockers, you’ll see the entrance to the camera shop. Go in and the machine is to your left. (When special event tables are set up here, the machine will be located in the next room, which is a gift shop.)
In Cars Land – Go to Ramone’s, which is almost all the way down the main road toward RSR. Enter through the door on the main road and it’s to your left.
Gone Hollywood in Hollywood Land – Enter the shop and take a right. It’s on your right.
Knick’s Knacks in Pixar Pier – Across from Lamplight Lounge, you’ll find a cute new shop called Knick’s Knacks filled with souvenirs. A Fuel Rod machine is inside, near the entrance.
Outside of parks, find them here:
Grand Californian Hotel – From Downtown Disney, follow the path to the right and into the hotel. It’s to the right a bit as you walk in the door.
Disneyland Hotel – In the Fantasy Tower, find the Fuel Rod machine to the left of the business center.
Paradise Pier Hotel – In the lobby, you’ll find this machine past the elevator tower, down a bit and on your right.
Where to Find Fuel Rod Machines at Disney World
Here is a list of where to find the machines at Disney World in Orlando:
- Welcome Center
- Marketplace Photo
- Tomorrowland Light and Power Company
- Pecos Bills Cafe in Frontierland
- Big Top Souvenirs
- Curtain Call Collectibles on Main Street
- Cosmic Rays Cafe
- Celebrity 5 and 10
- Pizza Rizzo
- Rock Around the Shop
- Disney Traders
- International Gateway
- Camera Center
- Events Pavilion
- Island Mercantile
ESPN Wide World of Sports
- Clubhouse Shop
- Sports Grill
- Fieldhouse L1
Disney World Resorts
- Grand Floridian Resort – Business Center
- Coronado Springs Resort – El Paso Salon R.R.; El Paso Salon 2; Pepper Market
- All Star Movies Resort – Movie Arcade Entrance; Food Court
- BoardWalk Inn Resort – Lobby
- Port Orleans Resort Riverside – Lobby
- Port Orleans Resort French Quarter – Lobby
- Art of Animation Resort – Arcade
- Animal Kingdom Lodge – Lobby
- Polynesian Resort – Gift Shop
- Contemporary Resort – Lobby
- Pop Century Resort – Lobby
- Wilderness Lodge Resort – Lobby
- Blizzard Beach
- Typhoon Lagoon – Singapore Sal’s
Save Money – Buy Your Fuel Rod Ahead of Time
Many airports, malls and transportation centers now have Fuel Rod machines. Purchase yours in one of these locations prior to arriving at Disneyland and save $10. This machine, below, is in a shopping district near my house is San Diego.
Locate machines near you and buy before you get to the park.
Then, swap as needed. All Fuel Rods are universal and work together.
- All Fuel Rods work at all Fuel Rod machines, regardless of where you purchase it. So, one you buy at Disneyland will work at Walt Disney World. In airports, zoos, etc, too!
- My initial concern with this product is that the machines might run out of the rods. Haven’t seen that happen yet. I was also concerned I might come across a defective fuel rod. Haven’t had that issue, either. If you have issues, you can contact the company easily at 1.844.FuelRod (844.383.5763) or on the main page of their website. Their customer service is excellent.
- When you’re not near a Fuel Rod machine to swap for a new one, simply charge the rod as you would any other device. You just need a USB adapter.
- As new machines are added to Disneyland and Disney World, I’ll update this post. If you know of any that are there that I haven’t noted here, please leave a comment and I’ll add it to the list.